About Me
Craig D. Robins, Esq. New York Bankruptcy Attorney, Longisland bankruptcy attorney

“ Craig D. Robins, Esq., has been a practicing Long Island bankruptcy attorney for over twenty-four years ”

Craig D. Robins, Esq.

How Do I Get Away With Cheating On My Bankruptcy Petition?

Posted on Thursday (July 23, 2009) at 10:15 am to Bankruptcy Tips Consumers Should Know

How Do I Get Away With Cheating On My Bankruptcy Petition?Written by Craig D. Robins, Esq.
I am sad to say that a few times each year a potential client asks me this question.  However, the answer is quite simple.  You cannot cheat on your bankruptcy petition.  No winks; no baloney; no funny business.  You simply cannot lie or cheat in a bankruptcy case.
Americans are very fortunate that they have access to federal bankruptcy laws that enable them to eliminate debts and get a fresh new financial start.  In doing so, they have to approach the bankruptcy filing in good faith; they have to be honest and accurate in listing their assets and liabilities; and they have to comply with their reasonable obligations as a bankruptcy debtor.
Although it is rare, some potential clients have disclosed to me that they owned certain assets, but they were adamant that they did not want to list them in their bankruptcy petition.  One potential client said he owned property located out of the country and that nobody would find out.  I told these potential clients that they had to be totally honest in their petition.  For those who did not agree, I refused to represent them and sent them on their way.
An honest mistake is one thing, but cheating on a bankruptcy petition is something else.  It is simply not acceptable. 
Be Sociable, Share!
Print This Post Print This Post
Be Sociable, Share!

About Us

Craig D. Robins, Esq. is a Long Island bankruptcy lawyer, who is focused primarily on helping individuals and families, find solutions to their debt problems. Read more »


Subsribe via RSS Feed Reader

Contact Us

Craig D. Robins, Esq.
35 Pinelawn Road, Suite 218E, Melville, NY 11747.

Tel : 516 - 496 - 0800